Joe Lovell, Head Coach NAHL
Joe Lovell played hockey at Bentley University for 4 seasons and was Captain his senior year. Joe then played one year of professional hockey. After his playing career ended Joe became the Head Coach of the Foxboro Stars in the Empire Junior Hockey
After his playing career ended Joe became the Head Coach of the Foxboro Stars in the Empire Junior Hockey League for the 2006 season. Joe had been Head Coach of the Boston Advantage U18 team since then in the Tier 1 Hockey League where he continued until 2012.
- Norwood High School- 4 Year All-Star
- Bay State League MVP 1999
- Eastern Junior Hockey League All-Star 99-00
- Hockey Night in Boston All-Scholastic 99-00
- Bentley University 2000-04
- 1 year pro career ( UHL, CHL, SPHL)
- Vice President- Lovell’s Hockey School
- President- Lovell Knights Hockey Club
- Head Coach- Lovell Knights U16 Split Season
- Head Coach- Lovell Knights U14 Full Season
- Head Coach- Boston Advantage U18 Full Season (2007-2012)
- Head Coach- Foxboro Stars Junior B Team (2005-2006)
Bryan Erikson, Assistant Coach, General Manager
Bryan Erikson is an Asst. Coach and General Manager of the Northeast Generals and has over 18 years of coaching experience.
Coach Erikson has worked closely with his father at Hockey Plus!, one of the most successful and long running (42 years and counting) hockey camps on the South Shore serving as the head of the camp for the last 15 years, overseeing and training all of the staff. While at Hockey Plus! Coach Erikson has coached over 2,200 youth hockey players on the South Shore of Massachusetts.
Coach Erikson’s experiences include:
- Head Coach – Wareham High School Varsity Hockey
- Head Coach – Hockey Night in Boston
- Head Coach – Bay State Games
- Head Coach – Boston Junior Terriers U18 Tier 1, Bantam & Squirt levels
- President – Coastal Stars Youth Hockey
- President – Yankee Conference Hockey League, which oversees 100 teams in Massachusetts
- President/Head Coach – South Shore Selects U19 tournament team
- President – Mass Elite Hockey, 18 team Spring/Summer Hockey league for the Elite Hockey Player (Pee Wee – U18)
Bryan has also been a math teacher for the over 10 years in public and Dept. of youth services.
Dan Szerlip, Assistant Coach
Dan has a great hockey background. After a few years in the Empire Junior Hockey League and the T1EHL playing for Boston Advantage Dan went on to play in the SJHL for the Nipawin Hawks where he enjoyed a successful career. After junior hockey Dan started out at Concordia University where he was Assistant Captain before finishing his NCAA career at the Wentworth Institute of Technology. In addition to Coaching with the Generals Dan is the Director of Operation for Lovell Hockey’s Middlesex Icemen program in East Boston.
Tim Lovell, Assistant Coach, Director of Player Movement
Tim Lovell played hockey at the University of Maine and the University of Massachusetts at Amherst where he finished his career with 130 NCAA points. Tim continued playing hockey at the professional level for 7 years before retiring in 2004.
After retiring Tim immediately started Coaching at a high level, developed Lovell Skills and started the Boston Advantage which has developed into one of the premier hockey organizations on the East Coast.
- 4 Year Varsity @ Norwood High School 1989-1992
- Boston Globe All-Scholastic
- Boston Herald All-Scholastic
- HNIB All-Scholastic
- University of Maine 1993-96
- 1994-95 USA-20 Select Team
- 1995-96 U Maine MVP
- 1995-96 All Hockey East Selection
- 1995-96 All New England Selection
- 1996 USA-20 Select Team Co-Captain
- UMass Amherst 1997-98 Captain
- 1998 Cinncinatti Mighty Ducks (AHL)
- 1998-99 Las Vegas Thunder (IHL)
- 1998-99 Tacoma Sabercats (WCHL)
- Rookie of the year
- All Star Selection
- League Champion
- 1999-2000 Providence Bruins (AHL)
- 1999-2000 Detroit Vipers (IHL)
- 2000-01 Kentucky Thoroughbreds (AHL)
- 2000-01 Basel Switzerland
- 2000-01 San Diego Gulls (WCHL)
- League Champs
- 2001-02 Saint John Flames (AHL)
- 2002-03 Adirondack Ice Hawks (WHL)
- President/Owner- Lovell’s Hockey School, Boston Advantage Hockey Club, Lovell Knights Hockey Club, Advantage Ice Hockey Club
- Owner- Futures Tournaments LLC
- Head Coach- Boston Advantage U16 Full Season T1EHL Team
Steve Mastalerz, Goalie Coach, GDS Goaltending
Steve, a long-time student of Mike Buckley, played youth hockey for Top Gun before heading off to Kimball Union Academy where he was one of prep school hockey’s best goaltenders. Following KUA, Steve received a scholarship at UMass-Amherst where he made an immediate impact as a freshman and a leader.
In four years at UMass, Mastalerz appeared in 77 games and logged a 3.12 goals-against average and a .894 save percentage. The North Andover, Mass., native posted 20 wins and four shutouts, which ranks fourth in program history, while his career saves total (1,953) is fifth all-time in the UMass record book. Mastalerz, a five-time Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week in his career, set UMass’ Division I single-game saves record, sixth-most in NCAA history, with 75 stops in the Minutemen’s five overtime victory at Notre Dame this past March 6, in the Hockey East Tournament. Following UMass, Steve joined the LA Kings organization and joined the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL, being part of their Calder Cup run and capturing the
Mastalerz, a five-time Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week in his career, set UMass’ Division I single-game saves record, sixth-most in NCAA history, with 75 stops in the Minutemen’s five overtime victory at Notre Dame this past March 6, in the Hockey East Tournament. Following UMass, Steve joined the LA Kings organization and joined the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL, being part of their Calder Cup run and capturing the
Following UMass, Steve joined the LA Kings organization and joined the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL, being part of their Calder Cup run and capturing the team’s first Calder Cup.
This is Steve’s 2nd season with the Northeast Generals.
Howard Theberge, Head Athletic Trainer, Equipment Manager
Howard W. Theberge, MA, ATC, CSCS, CES, PES
Cody Gonyeau, Assistant General Manager, Head Scout
Cody Gonyeau is entering his second season with the Northeast Generals. Originally from Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, Gonyeau played for Sault High Blue Devil Hockey and graduated in 2009’. After, he obtained a Bachelor’s of Science in Secondary Education from Central Michigan University.
This season, Gonyeau will serve as Head Coach for the Cleveland Barons Elite U14, T1EHL. Last season he was Head Coach for the Cleveland Wildcats U15 team organized by Saint Ignatius High School. There, he spent 3 season coaching within the SIHS coaching staff through JV Selects, Varsity Gold, & U15s. He also works as Hybrid Scout for Neutral Zone Scouting, identifying players throughout the country on a highly established prospects ranking system. Gonyeau is a Development Coach for Ohio Hockey Projects assisting with player development, mentorship, career advancement, and junior hockey education.
Cory Hunt, Director Of Player Personnel
Cory Hunt is in his 3rd season with the Northeast Generals. His recent promotion to the Director of Player Personnel comes after the previous two seasons as the Assistant General Manager and Head Scout of Generals. In his first two seasons Cory helped the Generals recruit some of their top players. Prior to his role with Northeast, he spent time as a Scout with the Michigan Warriors and the Springfield Jr. Blues.
Cory heavily recruits the NA3HL and has recruited four NA3HL players the past two season to play in the NAHL with three of them committing to play Division 1 hockey.
Cory and his wife Katie currently live in Cottage Grove, Minnesota with their two sons Carsen, 7, and Brody, 2.