Bryan Erikson, Head Coach, General Manager
Bryan Erikson is the Head Coach and General Manager of the Northeast Generals and has over 20 years of coaching experience.
Coach Erikson has worked closely with his father at Hockey Plus!, one of the most successful and long running (42 years and counting) hockey camps on the South Shore serving as the Head Coach of the camp for the last 15 years, overseeing and training all of the staff. While at Hockey Plus! Coach Erikson has coached over 2,200 youth hockey players on the South Shore of Massachusetts.
Coach Erikson’s experiences include:
- Head Coach – Wareham High School Varsity Hockey
- Head Coach – Hockey Night in Boston
- Head Coach – Bay State Games
- Head Coach – Boston Junior Terriers U18 Tier 1, Bantam & Squirt levels
- President – Coastal Stars Youth Hockey
- President – Yankee Conference Hockey League, which oversees 100 teams in Massachusetts
- President/Head Coach – South Shore Selects U19 tournament team
- President – Mass Elite Hockey, 18 team Spring/Summer Hockey league for the Elite Hockey Player (Pee Wee – U18)
Bryan has also been a math teacher for the over 10 years in public and Dept. of youth services.
Eric Progen, Assistant Coach /Midget Director / Head Coach U18/U16
Eric joins the Generals from the Valley Forge Minutemen of the NAPHL and the AYHL located in Oaks, PA. Over the past 2 seasons Eric has had success in various roles. He has been a Coach of both the U16 and U18 Minutemen. The Minutemen were AYHL finalists in 2017-2018 and have enjoyed success in the NAPHL. Previously Eric spent 6 years with the Lehigh Valley program (both the Phantoms and Flames) as well as being a private skills instructor since 2013 focusing on skating.
Progen has seen numerous players tendered to the NAHL, including current NAHL General, Liam McCanney and current U18 Generals John Musella and Adam Smith. In addition, Progen has seen several players drafted by either the USHL or NAHL with many more going directly to NCAA Hockey.
Steve Mastalerz, Goalie Coach, GDS Goaltending
Steve, a long-time student of Mike Buckley, played youth hockey for Top Gun before heading off to Kimball Union Academy where he was one of prep school hockey’s best goaltenders. Following KUA, Steve received a scholarship at UMass-Amherst where he made an immediate impact as a freshman and a leader.
In four years at UMass, Mastalerz appeared in 77 games and logged a 3.12 goals-against average and a .894 save percentage. The North Andover, Mass., native posted 20 wins and four shutouts, which ranks fourth in program history, while his career saves total (1,953) is fifth all-time in the UMass record book. Mastalerz, a five-time Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week in his career, set UMass’ Division I single-game saves record, sixth-most in NCAA history, with 75 stops in the Minutemen’s five overtime victory at Notre Dame this past March 6, in the Hockey East Tournament. Following UMass, Steve joined the LA Kings organization and joined the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL, being part of their Calder Cup run and capturing the
Mastalerz, a five-time Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week in his career, set UMass’ Division I single-game saves record, sixth-most in NCAA history, with 75 stops in the Minutemen’s five overtime victory at Notre Dame this past March 6, in the Hockey East Tournament. Following UMass, Steve joined the LA Kings organization and joined the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL, being part of their Calder Cup run and capturing the
Following UMass, Steve joined the LA Kings organization and joined the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL, being part of their Calder Cup run and capturing the team’s first Calder Cup.
This is Steve’s 2nd season with the Northeast Generals.
Howard Theberge, Head Athletic Trainer, Equipment Manager
Howard W. Theberge, MA, ATC, CSCS, CES, PES
Cody Gonyeau, Assistant General Manager, Head Scout
Cody has been with the Northeast Generals for over 3 years. Originally from Sault Ste. Marie MI, Gonyeau played hockey in SMHA & Sault Blue Devil Hockey (09′). He earned a Bachelor’s of Science in Secondary Education from Central Michigan University. This season, Gonyeau will be Head Coach for the Cleveland Barons U15 team. He has coached U14 & U16 for the Cleveland Barons through 2 seasons and also works as the program’s Director of Advancement where he focuses on player skill development, mentorship, career advancement, and junior-to-pro hockey education. Continuing for the upcoming year, Coach Gonyeau will be the Academy Director for the Cleveland Athletic Academy, a development system organized by the Cleveland Barons to enrich the training process both on and off the ice. Prior to the Barons, he coached the Cleveland Wildcats U15 team and spent 3 season coaching with Saint Ignatius High School. Gonyeau is a partner with Prime Hockey, an international hockey company organized throughout Russia, Europe, & North America that is designed to identify players & offer guidance to hockey advancement.
Steve Ouellette, Director of Scouting
Steve joins the Generals after an extensive career in hockey. Steve will bring his wealth of experience both in scouting and coaching to the organization.
• Coaching Staff/Scouting Staff 95 Giants, implementing USA Hockey ADM principles during all practice sessions
• Former Head Coach Mt. Hope High School Boys Varsity Hockey Program
• Former General Manager/Assistant Coach, Cranston Reds Hockey Program; Junior B/MJHL
• Former Assistant Coach/Player Personnel/Media Relations South Shore Kings, Foxboro, MA
• Associate Head Coach, Milton Academy Boy’s Ice Hockey
• Former Head Coach, La Salle Academy Girl’s Ice Hockey Program
• Former Head Coach, Salve Regina University Women’s Division III Ice Hockey Program (Four Seasons)
• Former Head Coach, South Coast Sharks Women’s Midget/U-19 Select Program, Massachusetts Hockey 2001 State Silver Medalists
• Former Head Coach Charles River Girl’s Hockey (CRGH) Program, Midget/U-19 Team Women’s Ice Hockey Former Head Coach
• Bishop Connolly High School Boys Hockey Program Former Head Coach
• CERTIFIED USA HOCKEY LEVEL 5 (MASTER) COACH
• USA Hockey Association Coach and Education Coordinator, (ACE Program) Massachusetts Hockey, Co-Director Player Development; Team Massachusetts Midget/U-19
• Selection Committee/Evaluator USA Hockey Development Camps • Massachusetts District Camp, Player Development Training Camp (2007,2008 On-Ice Staff)
• Massachusetts/USA Hockey, Girl’s Satellite Training/Olympic Development Program; (On-Ice Staff) • Walpole Jr. Stars (Player Development Program Staff)
• Retired Information Technology Specialist/Senior Systems Analyst Naval Undersea Warfare Center Newport, RI (NUWCDIVNPT/DoD NAVY ~ 1988-2005)